Salvage Vehicle | Salvage Title | Aseguranza de Auto

Salvage Vehicle


What is a salvaged vehicle? Can I insure a recovered vehicle? How can I register a recovered vehicle? A salvaged vehicle is typically a motor vehicle that has been qualified as damaged and / or considered an absolute loss by an insurance company that paid the claim on that vehicle.

In the state of California, a salvaged vehicle is defined as one that has been “destroyed or damaged to such an extent that it is considered too expensive to repair.” There are different types of Salvaged titles, such as: Salvaged Car, Revived Salvage, and Junk Car. A revived Rescue is a previously rescued motor vehicle that has been fixed operatively and has been re-registered under the DMV. A junk car according to the titles recovered, is a car that has been disassembled by the owner, etc. In California, the Department of Motor Vehicles requires the following to register a salvaged vehicle:

  • The basic registration fee of $46
  • $50 fee [Salvage and Dismantled Vehicle Inspection] + $ 2 [Previous history fee]
  • Application for title and / or registration (REG 343)
  • California title certificate or rescue certificate or duplicate application
  • Verification of Vehicle Inspection Certificate (REG 31) or CHP

The DMV may also require the following:

  • Smog certificate
  • Weight certificate
  • Vehicle and vessel transfer and reassignment form (REG 262)
  • Statement of facts (REG256)
  • Declaration of the gross vehicle/combined gross vehicle weight (REG4008)
  • Permanent trailer identification (PTI)
  • Application / Certification (REG 4017)

In order to secure the salvage title of the car in the State of California, the vehicle must be considered safe again and either the insurance company and / or the owner of the car, even though it is once a total loss. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires: A title or registration request that has been signed by all owners of the Self-Proof Property list such as: duplicate title application, certificate of title and salvage certificate under its name Inspection of the Vehicle by the DMV, and possibly the CHP before the DMV, depending on the type of motor vehicle. Certificate of inspection of brakes and lights. A weight certificate for certain trucks, etc. Smog Certificate for most vehicles, usually for hybrids, electric and motorcycles


  • Registration fee of $ 46
  • CHP fee of $ 24
  • VLF (based on the value of the motor vehicle)
  • Weight charge
  • CRVA fee
  • $1- $19 County fee (different for each county)
  • $3 CTIP
  • $7 – $ 20 PTI Rate
  • $20 Rescue Certificate Fee
  • $20 Duplicate Title Fee
  • Verification of the vehicle (REG 31) or CHP inspection certificate
  • $20 Substitute Fee
  • $50 inspection fee for recovered and dismantled vehicles
  • $2 Previous History Fee
  • Possible $ 20 fee if the vehicle was last registered out of state
  • Transfer or taxes may also be required

Securing a recovered vehicle with full coverage tends to be difficult, most places will insure the vehicle with minimal coverage or will not insure at all. That is why one should take certain precautions when buying a car with a saved title. On the one hand one should get a trusted mechanic to look at the vehicle before buying, receive a report on the history of automobiles, check with the DMV for the salvage title laws and check with your insurance company to see what coverage possibly it is possible and, NMVTIS.

Nuestra puntuación.
[Total: 75 Promedio: 5/5]

Posted ByAlex TorresOnAugust 6,2019

Alex Torres

Nuestra puntuación.
[Total: 75 Promedio: 5/5]